WILMINGTON,NC (WECT)- More than 2,000 participants have signed up for Wilmington's very first Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure-- not including those who sign up in person on race day Saturday, March 2 2013.
The race is both a competitive and recreational 5K and organizers have said the turnout for the Inaugural Wilmington Race for the Cure has been "remarkable."
"We have been serving the Triangle for 17 years in June and the more we worked with surrounding counties, the more we realized a need in Eastern North Carolina," said Brad Young, Communications and Marketing Manager with the Susan G. Komen for the Cure North Carolina Triangle to the Coast Affiliate.
According to Young, there is an 11% higher breast cancer incidence rate in Eastern NC compared to the rest of the state.
"Even more upsetting, the mortality rate was 20% higher than the rest of the state," said Young.
Young said the race is a great way to celebrate survivors, empower people to make a difference and connect with others.
"I grew up in Jacksonville with a breast cancer survivor for a parent and there was nothing like this at the time," explained Young. "Wilmington was the perfect place for the Race. It had a active run culture, great places for a Race route, and has the ability to draw people from out of town for the Race. It is a special place with special people."
The Race begins at 8:30 a.m. with the start and finish lines on Second Street between Princess and Dock Streets.
For the safety of all participants, it will be necessary to restrict traffic on the streets along the race course. To minimize any problems, street closures will occur as follows. The listed times are conservative estimates.
Sections of the course actually reopen as soon as the trailing car passes each intersection.
1. 2nd St. between Princess and Orange St. – 4:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m.
2. Orange St. from 2nd St. to Front St. – 7:00 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
3. Front Street from Orange St. to Nun St. – 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
4. Nun Street from Front St. to 5th St. - 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
5. 5th Street from Nun St. to Red Cross St. - 7:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
6. Red Cross St. between 5th St. and 4th St. - 7:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
7. 4th Street from Red Cross St. crossing over 3rd St. – 7:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
8. North Front Street to Hanover St. – 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
9. Hanover St. between Front St. and Nutt St. – 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
10. Water Street from Nutt St. to Princess St. – 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
11. Princess St. between Water St. and 2nd St. – 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Note: 5th Street will remain open to Southbound traffic (away Market St.) throughout the event, but you will likely encounter some delays at the Market St. traffic light.
Traffic control will be posted at the following intersections to allow intermediate traffic flow:
• 3rd and Nun St.
• 3rd and Davis/Front St.
• 4th and Red Cross St.
• 5th and Market St.
• 5th and Nun St.
• 5th and Red Cross St.
If you have questions, please call the Race hotline at 866-971-CURE (2873). For information about the Race.
Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.