NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - New Hanover County and City of Wilmington officials will introduce an Economic Development Planning Initiative for the New Hanover County area on Wednesday, Aug. 7 at 3 p.m. in the downstairs lobby of the Wilmington International Airport, according to a news release.
Officials say the intent of this planning initiative is to facilitate an advantage in the economic development arena and uncover new opportunities for wealth creation in New Hanover County.
According to the news release, the end result will be a strategy that will assist New Hanover County in meeting future economic opportunities within various business sectors.
The city and county will co-chair this initiative in partnership with UNCW and Cape Fear Community College.
The following is an excerpt of a news release from New Hanover County:
The strategic objectives under ‘Intelligent Growth and Economic Development' include the following:
1. Attract and Retain New and Expanding Businesses
2. Enhance and add recreational, cultural and enrichment activities
3. Build and maintain infrastructure
4. Protect the environment through innovative programs
5. Develop, maintain and implement comprehensive plans for land use, economic development, infrastructure, and environmental programs
The county seeks to build on its rich natural, cultural, and historical resources and develop an action plan to strengthen existing industries and to identify emerging ones to increase private investment and job retention. An actionable implementation plan will facilitate informed decisions to leverage assets and optimize our area's competitive position.